The horrific pandemic, the world is currently experiencing, will, if our government leaders, fail to put policy and people (the common good), ahead of their personal/ political agenda, and short – term populist rhetoric and promises, will have significant, longer – term impacts, and ramifications! How, we move forward, and try to transition, from the stay – at – home scenarios, presently, largely, in existence, today, to opening – up, the American economies, and getting to some degree of normal, will determine, the ultimate health, and well – being, of our society, and citizens! However, proceeding wisely, effectively, and in a smart manner, will require well – informed, forward – thinking, public leaders, with the foresight and abilities, to plan effectively, and take several factors, into consideration! With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 key challenges, which are essential to consider, and plan for, as we proceed, after this pandemic.
1. Public confidence: Although, President Trump, seems to either, truly believe, or feels it benefits him, politically, to emphasize economic concerns, and the need to reopen the American economy, sooner, rather than later, even his own business advisers/ friends/ supporters, reportedly, have informed him, unless/ until, the public has the confidence, it’s safe to go out, in public, it won’t have any positive effects! Since, this President, according to political fact – checkers, has lied and misstated the facts, more than any predecessor, in recent memory, why would most people, other than his strongest, core supporters, believe him, or have any faith, in the veracity of his rhetoric?
2. Economic issues: Isn’t it strange, the same people, who supported and introduced, the supposed, tax reform legislation, passed in 2017 (and, which benefited the wealthiest, rather than the middle – class, it was supposed to), proclaim, we can’t afford to support the health needs, and states requirements, needed to safely proceed, forward? Nearly every state, is being squeezed, financially, as a result of this set of circumstances. While, obviously, we must attempt, to focus, on the economy, going – forward, unless/ until, this is done, in accordance, with the advice, warning, and suggestions, of public health experts/ professionals, the ramifications, may be dire!
3. Mass transit challenges: How can mass transit, go back to transporting people, to work, etc, unless/ until, we focus on, and address the challenges, of doing so? This virus is more dangerous, in closed – in areas, with air circulation issues, crowds, and metal and plastic structures, where the disease, breeds! Will split – shifts, enhanced air purification systems, etc, be needed and necessary, moving – forward?
4. Elevator issues: Many types of businesses, including financial industries, many types of offices, etc, are located in buildings, dependent on using elevators! However, the science claims, elevators may be one of the largest obstacles, to overcome!
5. Restaurants and Office occupancy/ configurations: What changes, might be needed, to reopen restaurants, and offices? Doesn’t it seem, restaurants will have to reduce seating, change layouts, and re – think their bar businesses? Will split – shifts, greater remote working, and other ways, to reduce direct contact, be needed?
Will we have to follow, what many Asian nations, have done, and have our citizens, wear masks/ face coverings, every time, we go out, in public? What other changes, will be necessary? How will America, be better prepared, into the future?
Richard has owned businesses, been a COO, CEO, Director of Development, consultant, professionally run events, consulted to thousands, conducted personal development seminars, and worked for political campaigns, for 4 decades. Rich has written three books and thousands of articles. Website: http://plan2lead.net and LIKE the Facebook page for common sense: http://facebook.com/commonsense4all